Egg whites have become a popular food choice for lots of people particularly those who are into fitness and also anyone wanting to lose a few kilos because egg whites are low in calories and fat, but high in protein. They also contain lots of essential vitamins and minerals, such as B vitamins, phosphorus, and selenium
- 1.High in protein: Egg whites are a good source of protein necessary for muscle growth and repair, immune system support, and weight maintenance.
- 2.Egg whites are low in calories, making them ideal for people wanting to reduce weight or maintain a healthy weight.
- 3.Low in fat and cholesterol: Egg whites are almost fat-free and contain no cholesterol which makes them a great choice for people wanting to limit their fat and cholesterol intake.
- 4.Rich in vitamins and minerals: Egg whites are high in various vitamins and minerals, including B2, B12, and selenium.
- 5.Gluten-free: Egg whites are gluten-free which is ideal for anyone suffering from celiac disease or gluten intolerance.
- 6.Fresh egg whites are a versatile in the kitchen and can be used in a range of meals such as omelettes, protein drinks, and used in baked goods.
Where to Buy Fresh Egg Whites in Australia
There are several places where you can buy fresh egg whites:
- 1. Most large supermarkets in Australia sell fresh egg white usually in small pack sizes around 500g which is equivalent to approximately 16 egg whites
- 2.To save money, bulk food and wholesale stores that serve the general public, such as Padstow Food Service in Sydney. Padstow Food Service offer fresh egg whites in a convenient 10kg "bag in a box" format, which is equivalent to around 320 egg whites. For the best cost-effectiveness, it's suggested to divide the bulk egg whites into smaller portions for future use. Plus, these egg whites can be kept in the freezer for up to a year!
- 3.Health Food Stores: Some health food stores sell eggs whites and possibly organic or free-range egg whites
- 4.Farmers Markets: You can find a variety of fresh eggs at farmers markets and if your lucky you may also be able to buy egg white, this way you would know exactly where they came from and how they were raised.
- 5.Online: Fresh egg whites can also be bought online from places like Coles or Woolworths or from egg producers directly. To buy egg white in bulk, Padstow Food Service offer an online ordering website with refrigerated delivery available in the Sydney metropolitan area or you can simply pick up from the Factory Outlet Shop located at 2d Arab Road Padstow which is just near McDonald
Buying fresh egg whites in bulk has several advantages, including:
1. Cost savings: Purchasing in bulk is more cost-effective than purchasing in smaller amounts.
2. Convenience: Having a big supply of egg whites on hand saves time and labour over separating eggs each time they are needed.
3. Long shelf life: When properly maintained, fresh egg whites can be kept in the refrigerator for many weeks, or in the freezer for up to 12 months allowing the bulk purchase to be spread out over a longer period of time. A good tip is to write the date on the container of your portioned egg whites before freezing to know when you should stop using it.
Other Uses For Egg White
- Aerated egg whites are often used in cocktail recipes, such as the Ramos gin fizz, or Fluffy Duck
- As a fining agent, egg white is used to clarify and stabilise wine by removing those compounds which may cause astringency resulting in a softening of the wine.
- For aging skin, egg whites can be used to tighten and firm your skin. It can also help close the pores of your skin and get rid of build up which may lead to acne.
- An egg white mask is said to be suitable for those with oily skin as the egg white clarify the pores and hair follicles to reduce production of sebum.
- Egg whites combined with Armenic bole can reduce swelling and aid in the repair of skin fibres destroyed by inflammation.
- The sticky nature of Egg whites makes them effective at cleaning and protecting items such as leather shoes, bags, or even lounges.
10 Popular Egg White Recipes
- 1. Egg White Omelet: Made with egg whites, ham, cheese, and vegetables. The egg whites are first beaten to form base and then filled with the desired ingredients create a tasty and healthy meal.
- 2. Angel Cake: A delightful well loved lcake made with egg whites, sugar, and flour. The egg whites are first beaten and then combined with the dry ingredients to create a cake batter, then baked to perfection.
- 3. Meringue Cookies: A crisp and sweet cookie made with egg whites and sugar.
- 4. Egg White Frittata: Baked egg whites, vegetables, and cheese. The egg whites are fist beaten and added to the desired ingredients in a skillet and baked until set.
- 5. Protein Shake: A health food drink with egg whites, added milk, and fruit that to produce a high in protein and low in calorie drink.
- 6. Scrambled Egg Whites : A quick and easy breakfast dish made with beaten egg whites and your choice of ingredients.
- 7. Lemon Meringue Pie Topping: A tangy pie topped with fluffy sweet meringue made of beaten egg whites and sugar.
- 8. Souffle: A fluffy and calssic dish made with egg whites, cheese, and other ingredients. The egg whites are beaten into stiff peaks form and added to the desired ingredients and then baked until it rises and turns golden.
- 9. Egg Sandwich: A nutritious sandwich made with cooked egg whites and often combined with mayonnaise.
- 10.Macarons: Macarons are a sweet delicate French style cookie made with egg whites, sugar, and almond flour.
About Padstow Food Service Distributors
Padstow Food Service Distributors is a family owned and operated company offering a variety of Catering, Baking, Cake Decorating & Party Supplies, everything from fresh salads & cake fondant to paper plates and eco-friendly tableware.
Their Sydney Factory Outlet Shop is Open To The Public located at 2D Arab Road Padstow (just near McDonalds) and everyone is welcome. Well worth a visit if you're in the area.